Frequently Asked Questions

  • Eligibility
  • Dependents
  • Health Plans
    • Who should I contact with a claim issue?

      You should call your health care plan carrier at the member service phone number on the back of your ID card.

    • Can I change my health care plan?

      Yes. If other plans are available in your area, you will have 30 days from the date you retire to change your health care plan effective with your date of retirement. After that initial 30 days, you will be subject to the rolling enrollment rules. Rolling enrollment means you will be able to change your benefit elections once every 12 months. The 12 month period begins when the new elections have been made. The new plan will be effective the 1st day of the 2nd month following your request.

    • Who do I contact to change to a different health care plan?

      To change your health care plan, you will need to contact RHCC at or call 866-637-7555 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Eastern Time. If you are Medicare enrolled, you cannot enroll online; you must call RHCC to change plans

  • Medical ID Cards
  • Prescriptions
  • Medicare
    • If I have Medicare how will my claims be processed?

      Medicare will pay first, and then the Trust will process the remaining balance for payment with any cost-sharing requirements if the claim is a covered service. For Medicare Advantage plans, the claims are not processed through Medicare. Rather, the health insurance carrier processes the claims for the enrollee.

    • If I am eligible for Medicare do I have to enroll?

      Yes. It is important for both you and your dependents to enroll in Medicare when first eligible. Medicare Part B requires a monthly premium. The cost of the Medicare Part B premium will go up 10% for each full 12-month period an individual was eligible for Medicare Part B during the initial enrollment period but did not enroll.

    • If I’m eligible for Medicare but chose not to enroll, how will my claims be processed?

      You may not have Trust coverage, as enrollment in Medicare Parts A and B are required. That said, health care claims are paid as if Medicare is primary whether or not you are enrolled. If you choose not to enroll, you will be responsible for significantly higher out-of-pocket costs.

    • What do I do when I become enrolled for Medicare Parts A and B?

      When you’ve enrolled in Medicare, contact RHCC and let us know. The Trust will receive your Medicare information through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).

    • Is there a penalty if I don’t enroll in Medicare Part A or B?

      Yes. It is important for both you and your dependents to enroll in Medicare when you are first eligible. You usually don’t pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A coverage if you or your spouse paid Medicare taxes while working. However, if you don’t meet those requirements, Medicare Part A may require a monthly premium. If you fail to enroll when first eligible, the cost of the Medicare Part A premium will go up 10%. You will have to pay that penalty for twice the number of years you could have had Part A but did not sign up.

      Medicare Part B requires a monthly premium. The cost of the Medicare Part B premium will go up 10% for each full 12-month period an individual was eligible for Medicare Part B during the initial enrollment period but did not enroll. If you did not enroll when first eligible, and later choose to enroll, you must wait until the next Medicare Part B open enrollment period, which is January 1 through March 31 of each year. Your Medicare Part B will be effective on July 1 of the year you enroll. For more information on Medicare, visit

    • Does anything change with my health plan coverage when I enroll in Medicare?

      Yes. When you enroll in Medicare, you will transition to Medicare medical coverage. If you are enrolled in the TCN plan, Medicare will pay for your health care bills first, then the Trust will cover the remainder for covered services. If you are currently enrolled in an HMO, you will be transitioned to a Medicare Advantage HMO plan.

      In many cases, and depending where you live, once you become Medicare enrolled, you will have an additional health plan option, a Medicare Advantage PPO plan. Medicare Advantage PPO plans are offered by a private health insurance company, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, UnitedHealthcare or Humana, that contracts with Medicare to provide you with all your Part A and Part B benefits. If you enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, most Medicare services are covered through the health plan and aren’t paid for under Original Medicare. You will need to make sure you are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B to get your full benefits and to be eligible to enroll in any of the Medicare Advantage plans.

    • Who is Public Consulting Group (PCG)?

      Public Consulting Group, Inc. (PCG) is a nationally recognized leader in Social Security Administration (SSA) disability benefits representation. PCG combines a wealth of knowledge and expertise with a hands on approach helping individuals file Social Security Disability benefits applications. The Trust has partnered with PCG to help members obtain Social Security Disability and Medicare benefits. Pursuing this is completely your decision, but know this service is offered to you at no cost. If eligible, these benefits may provide you with additional income from Social Security and additional health care benefits available through Medicare. Your eligibility for medical benefits provided through the Trust will continue. PCG also helps Trust Medicare members enroll in the Extra Help program. If eligible, this Medicare program will reduce your prescription drug copayments based on your resource and income defined by Medicare. Feel free to call PCG at 1-888-690-1008, email your, or visit them

  • General
    • Do I need to sign up for a health plan through the health care exchanges?

      No. Since you have Trust-provided group health coverage, you do not need to seek coverage through the exchanges.

    • How will my enrollment in this plan impact my existing VA benefits – am I still able to use VA facilities?

      Coordination varies depending on the specific circumstance. In general, Medicare pays for Medicare-covered services, while Veterans’ Affairs pays for VA-authorized services. As a general rule, VA and Medicare benefits are separate and cannot be combined. Enrolling in a Trust plan will not cause you to lose your VA benefits. When services are received from the VA, the VA will pay. When services are received from a non-VA facility, the Trust plan will pay.

      Please note, Medicare and VA cannot pay for the same service. Also, most Medicare Advantage health plans are not permitted to issue payment to VA Hospitals, Veterans Affairs Medical Centers or Veteran Administration Hospitals for Medicare Advantage members with veteran status. This applies to all services and hospital settings, including emergency-related claims.